The Slaughterhorn

Gaming forum for Comox and Campbell River

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Collecting style

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gideus
Warmith
Warmith

PostSubject: Collecting style   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 pm

So how do you collect an army? lots of stuff at a time? a few here and there?
Do you collect models that have good in game stats/effects or stuff you think looks awesome?
Do you collect a model with the idea it can be converted or built and left as is?

I collect models I like, personally. Otherwise I build my own version of something. And being that I enjoy conversions, I always look for the plastic version of anything, finding it easier to mess with that metal.

Thoughts?

Night Lord
Terminator
Terminator

PostSubject: Re: Collecting style   Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:49 am

Models first. F*** Finecast. If I want to use rules, I'll either convert my own, or convert/proxy my own idea...

I have seriously considered how to aproach buying a new army. Having grown up just buying one box or blister at a time, my old collection is rather eclectic. Reviewing army choices and creating a few test lists can really help to direct purchases to what will be used most. Knowing what you can buy together to kitbash or perhaps what bitz purchase should be made before assembling your squads.
Back to top Go down
srg
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Collecting style   Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Functionality/Models fight for my heart on a 60-40 type basis. If something just sucks, I stare at it, weep, try to build around it, and weep some more while it doesnt see play. Very Happy

I like to list build, and buy to the list, but since I never settle on a list... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Cow
Battle Brother
Battle Brother

PostSubject: Re: Collecting style   Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm

My collecting has always been a slow trickle until recently. I got a box here or there, over the years. I generally purchase for functionality, but only pay attention to what the Codex said as opposed to imagining how it plays in a specific list. The rest is then for looks. I certainly have always enjoyed small conversions, and simple kitbashes, but even as an Ork collector, I haven't been too fond of scratch builds. Cardboard and hot glue just don't compare to legit models, even if that scratch build is of my own design.

Recently though, starting a Fantasy army with the backing of some disposable income, I got to enjoy pulling together 2,000-ish points in like two purchases! This is wonderful because I can already see how my completed army will operate. But also the mountain of plastic is kind of intimidating. It is built toward a broad theme, so that it may be functional but still something I can call my own style.
Back to top Go down
Gideus
Warmith
Warmith

PostSubject: Re: Collecting style   Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 pm

When I first started I did 0 conversions, 0 kitbashes and 0 scratchbulds. Soon as I found testors plastic glue and the styrene sheeting however...I love it. I get a special pride from building something that looks as good as the professionals ones (or damned close)

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collecting style   

Back to top Go down

Collecting style
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1