The Slaughterhorn

Gaming forum for Comox and Campbell River

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

6th is coming!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
srg
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: 6th is coming!   Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Whats the plan? :p

As for me, I'll be waiting first to see how the book makes my current books look, CSM, Daemons, and Dark Eldar. Assuming there isnt a large shakeup of the first 2, I'll be waiting for the Chaos book to drop before really setting my sites on what army to build and complete as my '6th Edition' force, with Apocalypse units, Forge World, and the like.

Essentially after the Chaos book drops, I want to make a choice and focus on the following.

Fantasy - Vampire Counts, I have almost enough for 2500 points here I think.
Malifaux - Vik's and supporting cast will keep me entertained here without much more investment. I may paint these up tomorrow actually if Mase leaves me alone :p
40k - Here's the toss up right now!

When I started to look into fantasy, I sat down and went through every range on the GW site, having a better grip on 40K I can do the following far easier with the factions.

Blood Angels
Some options, but a bit hurting in a few area's. As a SM faction it has a ton of support, and a lot of options. Also one of my original 2 factions (Khorne CSM/Blood Angels)

Khorne Daemons
The table top style is too limiting in a 'competitive' sense right now. Maybe this shifts in 6th? Unfortunately its a bit of a boring book if you stick with just one God, and there isnt a great deal of support in FW or Apoc.

CSM
I enjoy them no doubt, but with a book coming soon, who knows! Decent FW support, so I could build on what I have, but I dont know, the rumours havent been giving me a ton of excitement lately for these guys leading me to look at other options.

DE - The fluff doesnt do it for me. Maybe thats why I cant get fully behind them. I enjoy the play style a lot, but limited FW support here.

Eldar - Same as DE I think. Would also rather wait for a reboot, where plastics hit these guys fully.

GK - Some units I like in all ways, but maybe a bit to bland across the board (GK only list) or un-unified with an Inquisitor list? Great FW/Apoc support however.

IG - Expensive! A pure Valk/Vend list, with FW bits for the guardsman, would be really cool though. Great FW/Apoc support.

Necrons - A few ideas here, my Ride the Lightning list...

Orks - Awesome range, so awesome actually its one of my favorites easily.

Sisters - Expensive, lame codex. Total shame.

Space Marines - Lots of options here.

Dark Angels - Pass on these guys, I like them, but not enough.

Black Templars - Interesting, some potential with good FW support.

Wolves - Lots of options here.

Tau - Not interested at all.

Nids - I could get into these guys I am sure of it. Limited FW support however.

6th Edition SRG Army Reboot List!
CSM
Orks
IG
DE
Blood Angels
Black Templars
Space Marines
Space Wolves
Nids

Ok, so lets start to cut options here.

CSM stay in, have to hold the faith until the book drops at least.
Orks stay in, so much support from GW/FW, and the book will get updated sooner rather then later I would say (2 years?)
IG, I dont know. Expensive as hell, but huge FW/Apoc support...
DE stay in, but the fluff isnt hooking me as much as I would like.
Nids stay in, if only because the bio titan is only $370 or so! :p

SM probably drop. Why use SM when I could use BA or BT or SW...

Wolves, Templars, Angels...going to make a choice here, and go with Wolves Templars, then Angels based on the FW Templar Dread. :p

So then, descending order.

CSM
Wolves/Templars
Orks
Nids
DE
IG

Hmm, interesting results now that I think on it deeply. I have always enjoyed playing against Orks and Nids, if only because my own assault leaning armies have been confounded by those factions so often.

So those are my thoughts, as we are a month and a half out from getting 6th. :]
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   Sun May 20, 2012 11:33 pm

CSM: Yes, stick with them at least until their new codex. Decide from there.
Wolves/Templars: Meh. There's no regular SW player in the group though, for what that's worth.
Orks: I like orks. Simple as that. I'd never play them (too many damn models to paint!) but they're usually pretty fun to play against.
Tyranids: Just a bloody awful army. You should avoid them at all costs Wink
Dark Eldar: Well, you're already invested. And I thought you liked the fluff? I thought that was why you got them in the first place? The more xenos, the better, I say.
IG: No regular IG player in the group and a Valk/Vendetta list would be pretty awesome to see, even if it took forever to assemble and paint.

As for me, I'm sticking with my 'nids. There are many more models I want and I want to delve into FW a bit. Other armies are cool but none has ever grabbed me enough to sway me from my bugs.

FANTASY
What's the VC book like? I've heard it's good but not any real detail.

I'm still considering Ogre Kingdoms, no matter how much I hear they suck. I have some issues with Fantasy but it seems like it could be fun.

MALIFAUX
Started work on my Cult of December last night. Few more models to get to finish it, my Red Chappel Gang and my Death Marshals and after that, I think I want to delve into Pandora? But that will be months off. I still want to get used to the crews I have. I think I'm starting to get decent with Lady J.

Back to top Go down
srg
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 am

RotatingPanda wrote:
CSM: Yes, stick with them at least until their new codex. Decide from there.
Wolves/Templars: Meh. There's no regular SW player in the group though, for what that's worth.
Orks: I like orks. Simple as that. I'd never play them (too many damn models to paint!) but they're usually pretty fun to play against.
Tyranids: Just a bloody awful army. You should avoid them at all costs Wink
Dark Eldar: Well, you're already invested. And I thought you liked the fluff? I thought that was why you got them in the first place? The more xenos, the better, I say.
IG: No regular IG player in the group and a Valk/Vendetta list would be pretty awesome to see, even if it took forever to assemble and paint.

As for me, I'm sticking with my 'nids. There are many more models I want and I want to delve into FW a bit. Other armies are cool but none has ever grabbed me enough to sway me from my bugs.

FANTASY
What's the VC book like? I've heard it's good but not any real detail.

I'm still considering Ogre Kingdoms, no matter how much I hear they suck. I have some issues with Fantasy but it seems like it could be fun.

MALIFAUX
Started work on my Cult of December last night. Few more models to get to finish it, my Red Chappel Gang and my Death Marshals and after that, I think I want to delve into Pandora? But that will be months off. I still want to get used to the crews I have. I think I'm starting to get decent with Lady J.

Yeah, bio-titan! Your flyer is also going to be soon I believe, August maybe.

Fantasy: I keep hearing Ogres rock? The cat things, and some of the choices are apparently quite potent? I stopped reading up on VC, but I havent heard its OP/Bad, so its probably like most of the 8th edition books, balanced.

As for my current short list in 40K.

CSM: Yep, thats the plan. Its really going to come down to fluff, and the ability for me to fit what I want out of them into an army.
Wolves/Templars: I am kind of feeling the same right now actually. After playing DE, my CSM feels so slow, I wonder if its time for me to just part with marines of all shades and relative pointedness?
Orks: Yeah, really complete range, varied as well (Infantry, Bikes, Walkers, Mech, Super Heavies, Titans)
Tyranids: You only say that because its your army, I have lost to you, Jon and Tim enough to know the truth.
Dark Eldar: The fluff isnt what got me, it was people saying they would be 'hard to play' at first, along with the fannnnnnnntastic model range. The fluff...outside of a few units its just not doing it for me. I dont generally like Elves, so that may be it. :p
IG: Yeah only downside here, is Valks are expensive as hell, and so are all the tanks. I think I may scratch these guys from the list yeah...

New list post Panda driven review!

CSM
Orks
DE
IG - Dont know if I can drop these guys just yet, adding them back!
Back to top Go down
RotatingPanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 am

I just don't want another person playing 'nids Wink

I'd say your narrowed list is good and I'd just leave it as is until 6th and Codex: CSM drops. Who knows, CSM may be so awesome that the other three don't even feel like options anymore.

Back to top Go down
srg
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Yeah I have thought about it and its really going to come down to fluff and new units. If its still a boring book or they go all crazy in the fluff, I may just need to cut ties and move on.
Back to top Go down
srg
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 pm

I may have picked up the Ork Biker box at ABC, all thats left there is necrons. :p
Back to top Go down
srg
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 am

With the new ork fliers, its down to 2, and not looking good for CSM...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6th is coming!   

Back to top Go down

6th is coming!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1